注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

楼主: iceinsummer

英语散文欣赏(中英文对照)

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 10:58:12 | 显示全部楼层
英文赏析——假如给你一支笔 Suppose someone gave you a pen, w- l1 V. M3 h7 ?  A
Suppose someone gave you a pen - a sealed, solid-colored pen.
7 o* ?+ o) u, `3 W6 n, [' O& M, w  假如有人送你一支笔,一支不可拆卸的单色钢笔。
: F! q! u$ {4 e
# B" Z7 A1 f; J7 aYou couldn't see how much ink it had. It might run dry after the first few tentative words or last just long enough to create a masterpiece(or several) that would last forever and make a difference in the scheme of things. You don't know before you begin. Under the rules of the game, you really never know. You have to take a chance! 8 r3 I, \9 `0 d0 _
  看不出里面究竟有多少墨水。或许在你试探性地写上几个字后它就会枯干,或许足够用来创作一部影响深远的不朽巨著(或是几部)。而这些,在动笔前,都是无法得知的。 在这个游戏规则下,你真的永远不会预知结果。你只能去碰运气!% j! X. F) c4 U. n" U5 W; v

& \+ _" F$ i! L1 k$ HActually, no rule of the game states you must do anything. Instead of picking up and using the pen, you could leave it on a shelf or in a drawer where it will dry up, unused. But if you do decide to use it, what would you do with it? How would you play the game? Would you plan and plan before you ever wrote a word? Would your plans be so extensive that you never even got to the writing? Or would you take the pen in hand, plunge right in and just do it, struggling to keep up with the twists and turns of the torrents of words that take you where they take you? Would you write cautiously and carefully, as if the pen might run dry the next moment, or would you pretend or believe (or pretend to believe) that the pen will write forever and proceed accordingly?
! [& y. p! \4 ~. e% d. p  事实上,这个游戏里没有规则指定你必须要做什么。相反,你甚至可以根本不去动用这支笔,把它扔在书架上或是抽屉里让它的墨水干枯。 但是,如果你决定要用它的话,那么你会用它来做什幺呢?你将怎幺来进行这个游戏呢?你会不写一个字,老是计划来计划去吗?你会不会由于计划过于宏大而来不及动笔呢?或者你只是手里拿着笔,一头扎进去写,不停地写,艰难地随着文字汹涌的浪涛而随波逐流? 你会小心谨慎的写字,好象这支笔在下一个时刻就可能会干枯;还是装做或相信这支笔能够永远写下去而信手写来呢?" W4 N& l6 k4 U; v2 f; K- G

! E5 s  M4 p* u6 r# xAnd of what would you write: Of love? Hate? Fun? Misery? Life? Death? Nothing? Everything? Would you write to please just yourself? Or others? Or yourself by writing for others? Would your strokes be tremblinglytimid or brilliantly bold? Fancy with a flourish or plain? Would you even write? Once you have the pen, no rule says you have to write. Would you sketch? Scribble? Doodle or draw? Would you stay in or on the lines, or see no lines at all, even if they were there? Or are they?
" |/ x4 C) C+ Q; K5 p% [  你又会用笔写下些什么呢:爱?恨?喜?悲?生?死?虚无?万物?你写作只是为了愉己?还是为了悦人?抑或是借替人书写而愉己?你的落笔会是颤抖胆怯的,还是鲜明果敢的?你的想象会是丰富的还是贫乏的?甚或你根本没有落笔?这是因为,你拿到笔以后,没有哪条规则说你必须写作。也许你要画素描,乱写一气?信笔涂鸦?画画?你会保持写在线内还是线上,还是根本看不到线,即使有线在那里?嗯,真的有线吗?% `6 ~  I. Y" m! q' ^) x; M5 z% {' z

" L5 O, N3 l, a* y+ WThere's a lot to think about here, isn't there? 3 K( B0 ?! e4 n7 `2 I6 g+ T' ~
  这里面有许多东西值得考虑,不是吗?
. e5 @: D  h8 o0 z/ x+ [1 ^/ f! s
  c) a. C; U1 V' N# vNow, suppose someone gave you a life...# A$ W2 r1 y/ c, t; m4 X: o
  现在,假如有人给予你一支生命的笔……
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 11:00:54 | 显示全部楼层
英文赏析——中秋节探源/ k& z/ y& ~6 _- }, x6 y4 o5 D

. T4 d- _% _7 {6 Y) c' ^8 v- Z7 l"Zhong Qiu Jie", which is also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival, is celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar. It is a time for family members and loved ones to congregate and enjoy the full moon - an auspicious symbol of abundance, harmony and luck. Adults will usually indulge in fragrant mooncakes of many varieties with a good cup of piping hot Chinese tea, while the little ones run around with their brightly-lit lanterns. 3 C% i; `8 N8 X
  农历八月十五日是中国的传统节日——中秋节。在这天,每个家庭都团聚在一起,一家人共同观赏象征丰裕、和谐和幸运的圆月。此时,大人们吃着美味的月饼,品着热腾腾的香茗,而孩子们则在一旁拉着兔子灯尽情玩耍。$ a) T2 B0 l+ i
* W* ]% Y/ L6 O; v$ m) u) _* s
"Zhong Qiu Jie" probably began as a harvest festival. The festival was later given a mythological flavour with legends of Chang-E, the beautiful lady in the moon.
9 l% }9 h! U8 T/ h8 R+ p7 F  中秋节最早可能是一个庆祝丰收的节日。后来,月宫里美丽的仙女嫦娥的神话故事赋予了它神话色彩。, @2 m1 [* v5 W8 l7 T+ ?$ `( ~5 `

( |2 I- @; h7 Z' d9 C9 N0 Y! gAccording to Chinese mythology, the earth once had 10 suns circling over it. One day, all 10 suns appeared together, scorching the earth with their heat. The earth was saved when a strong archer, Hou Yi, succeeded in shooting down 9 of the suns. Yi stole the elixir of life to save the people from his tyrannical rule, but his wife, Chang-E drank it. Thus started the legend of the lady in the moon to whom young Chinese girls would pray at the Mid-Autumn Festival.% W8 W) M4 ?. u3 f  L& @3 R7 Y
  传说古时候,天空曾有10个太阳。一天,这10个太阳同时出现,酷热难挡。弓箭手后翌射下了其中9个太阳,拯救了地球上的生灵。他偷了长生不死药,却被妻子嫦娥偷偷喝下。此后,每年中秋月圆之时,少女们都要向月宫仙女嫦娥祈福的传说便流传开来。
" I4 f0 F  K5 n8 n0 B" ]7 k/ q) V/ d7 Q( D6 ?
In the 14th century, the eating of mooncakes at "Zhong Qiu Jie" was given a new significance. The story goes that when Zhu Yuan Zhang was plotting to overthrow the Yuan Dynasty started by the Mongolians, the rebels hid their messages in the Mid-Autumn mooncakes. Zhong Qiu Jie is hence also a commemoration of the overthrow of the Mongolians by the Han people. 5 R* |- k0 }! U% z
  在14世纪,中秋节吃月饼又被赋予了一层特殊的含义。传说在朱元璋带兵起义推翻元朝时,将士们曾把联络信藏在月饼里。因此,中秋节后来也成为汉人推翻蒙古人统治的纪念日。
  ^( `* Q' q0 K. Z3 ]% B9 ]
' p5 l; M  W9 ]% n9 RDuring the Yuan Dynasty (A.D.1206-1368) China was ruled by the Mongolian people. Leaders from the preceding Sung Dynasty (A.D.960-1279) were unhappy at submitting to foreign rule, and set how to coordinate the rebellion without it being discovered. The leaders of the rebellion, knowing that the Moon Festival was drawing near, ordered the making of special cakes. Packed into each mooncake was a message with the outline of the attack. On the night of the Moon Festival, the rebels successfully attacked and overthrew the government. What followed was the establishment of the Ming Dynasty (A.D. 1368-1644). Today, moon cakes are eaten to commemorate this event.
' _9 [8 C7 d9 E7 \( T) A9 P0 d  在元朝,蒙古人统治中国。前朝统治者们不甘心政权落入外族之手,于是密谋策划联合起义。正值中秋将近,起义首领就命令部下制作一种特别的月饼,把起义计划藏在每个月饼里。到中秋那天,起义军获取胜利,推翻了元朝,建立明朝。今天,人们吃月饼纪念此事。
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 11:02:53 | 显示全部楼层
The Importance of Being Honest9 G" `& ~+ D% e' \4 Y4 T0 ~% Z: E
假如没了诚信,我一天也不会快乐
7 u# n; n' r2 L/ L$ }: a' s; ]2 c& r) D/ ]5 j1 b" P) O4 L0 o* v
In the busy city of New York, such an astonishing thing that ever happened.
, k' O/ q" M! o) O  B1 h  在繁华的纽约,曾经发生了这样一件震撼人心的事情。
/ o1 m: g1 G1 z3 K6 n
& h- F4 Q5 G! _" R4 x* l* D# ?On a Friday night, a poor young artist stood at the gate of the subway station, playing his violin. Though the music was great, people were quickly going home for the weekend. In this case, many of them slowed down their paces and put some money into the hat of the young man.1 e3 r# b  ]; j8 Q9 @0 G; @
  星期五的傍晚,一个贫穷的年轻艺人仍然像往常一样站在地铁站门口,专心致志地拉着他的小提琴。琴声优美动听,虽然人们都急急忙忙地赶着回家过周末,但还是有很多人情不自禁的放慢了脚步,时不时地会有一些人在年轻艺人跟前的礼帽里放一些钱。
& H( A4 ^! Q* e) A) i. F
* A$ ?" m: x9 n* B4 D+ O4 ?$ v; hThe next day, the young artist came to the gate of the subway station, and put his hat on the ground gracefully. Different than the day before, he took out a large piece of paper and laid it on the ground and put some stones on it. Then he adjusted the violin and began playing. It seemed more pleasant to listen to.
' t- \4 ^4 V/ L% o' D5 ~  第二天黄昏,年轻的艺人又像往常一样准时来到地铁门口,把他的礼帽摘下来很优雅地放在地上。和以往不同的是,他还从包里拿出一张大纸,然后很认真地铺在地上,四周还用自备的小石块压上。做完这一切以后,他调试好小提琴,又开始了演奏,声音似乎比以前更动听更悠扬。
( y3 U# i* @. d. C' d9 q; r4 c  \7 a  w9 n0 q
Before long, the young violinist was surrounded with people, who were all attracted by the words on that paper. It said, "Last night, a gentleman named George Sang put an important thing into my hat by mistaken. Please come to claim it soon."9 k3 x4 ]/ E/ G4 C! f, R
  不久,年轻的小提琴手周围站满了人,人们都被铺在地上的那张大纸上的字吸引了,有的人还踮起脚尖看。上面写着:“昨天傍晚,有一位叫乔治-桑的先生错将一份很重要的东西放在我的礼帽里,请您速来认领。”
' Y) O9 F7 S2 p$ ~
% o+ o' j+ ^4 OSeeing this, it caused a great excitement and people wondered what it could be. After about half an hour, a middle-aged man ran there in a hurry and rushed through the crowd to the violinist and grabbed his shoulders and said, "Yes, it's you. You did come here. I knew that you're an honest man and would certainly come here."; P+ q( X1 {% `7 k$ w2 t. ~4 v) D
  见此情景,人群之间引起一阵骚动,都想知道这是一份什么样的东西。过了半小时左右,一位中年男人急急忙忙跑过来,拨开人群就冲到小提琴手面前,抓住他的肩膀语无伦次的说:“啊!是您呀,您真的来了,我就知道您是个诚实的人,您一定会来的。”0 k, W5 v) ?, r9 b) w+ |

6 s( v2 C4 r9 ~2 j* c" H& GThe young violinist asked calmly, "Are you Mr. George Sang?"6 s+ u5 q" o; Q* {; G  }, Z$ U
  年轻的小提琴手冷静地问:“您是乔治-桑先生吗?”
! V  G7 |7 S; ~
- H, {& }0 I! T* _  n. GThe man nodded. The violinist asked, "Did you lose something?"
. g: \8 m2 s% |: Q4 D1 X  那人连忙点头。小提琴手又问:“您遗落了什么东西吗?”
3 J: |6 |% O0 i  B+ L4 V9 e% I5 K; d: A! P8 q9 B
"Lottery. It's lottery," said the man.6 ^! ~. F1 N1 P4 l! F! ^3 ?
  那位先生说:“奖票,奖票”。
6 |5 b2 y9 \7 u- }$ q0 p5 x) E1 f
( i5 y7 G" D" V. y+ sThe violinist took out a lottery ticket on which George Sang's name was seen. "Is it?" he asked.
: N8 |0 n# P% S; r4 O/ G* k5 z1 e  小提琴手于是掏出一张奖票,上面还醒目地写着乔治-桑,小提琴手举着彩票问:“是这个吗?”
: _: y+ ?6 n- ~- |' i
  v3 }3 f9 C+ j3 vGeorge nodded promptly and seized the lottery ticket and kissed it, then he danced with the violinist.
; S7 o% c5 }& ^- H6 u0 B, t8 B  乔治-桑迅速地点点头,抢过奖票吻了一下,然后又抱着小提琴手在地上跳起了舞。  }) g. U, E3 O) n4 _
4 j, P& v1 N! o" K7 ?8 i5 r7 a
The story turned out to be this: George Sang is an office clerk. He bought a lottery ticket issued by a bank a few days ago. The awards opened yesterday and he won a prize of $500,000. So he felt very happy after work and felt the music was so wonderful, that he took out 50 dollars and put in the hat. However the lottery ticket was also thrown in. The violinist was a student at an Arts College and had planned to attend advanced studies in Vienna. He had booked the ticket and would fly that morning. However when he was cleaning up he found the lottery ticket. Thinking that the owner would return to look for it, he cancelled the flight and came back to where he was given the lottery ticket.2 X' l% H$ Z, \5 \- I, J
  原来事情是这样的,乔治-桑是一家公司的小职员,他前些日子买了一张一家银行发行的奖票,昨天上午开奖,他中了50万美元的奖金。昨天下班,他心情很好,觉得音乐也特别美妙,于是就从钱包里掏出50美元,放在了礼帽里,可是不小心把奖票也扔了进去。小提琴手是一名艺术学院的学生,本来打算去维也纳进修,已经定好了机票,时间就在今天上午,可是他昨天整理东西时发现了这张奖票,想到失主会来找,于是今天就退掉了机票,又准时来到这里。- v* d, H7 t2 ~
) ~! A1 A! u  Y: s( Q
Later someone asked the violinist: "At that time you were in needed to pay the tuition fee and you had to play the violin in the subway station every day to make the money. Then why didn't you take the lottery ticket for yourself?"
: v( k- ?" ]4 F+ D( @9 }7 Q  后来,有人问小提琴手:“你当时那么需要一笔学费,为了赚够这笔学费,你不得不每天到地铁站拉提琴。那你为什么不把那50万元的奖票留下呢?”
2 v8 u- U( H' T: S5 n% ^" Q! x5 k1 F8 W; f8 C! H/ p6 k
The violinist said, "Although I don't have much money, I live happily; but if I lose honesty I won't be happy forever.". e" \( H; y+ D2 I9 i, m
  小提琴手说:“虽然我没钱,但我活得很快乐;假如我没了诚信,我一天也不会快乐。”' N- `/ Q' l- e5 e; o7 {3 P. y6 F0 I

0 M; X* w* |6 J- M3 |* y% x! ZThrough our lives, we can gain a lot and lose so much. But being honest should always be with us. If we bear ourselves in a deceptive and dishonest way, we may succeed temporarily. However, from the long-term view, we will be a loser. Such kind of people are just like the water on the mountain. It stands high above the masses at the beginning, but gradually it comes down inch by inch and loses the chance of going up.
& e) u0 {3 R5 }5 G2 b- ~9 P  在人的一生中,我们会得到许多,也会失去许多,但守信用却应是始终陪伴我们的。如果以虚伪、不诚实的方式为人处世,也许能获得暂时的“成功”,但从长远看,他最终是个失败者。这种人就像山上的水,刚开始的时候,是高高在上,但逐渐逐渐地它就越来越下降,再没有一个上升的机会。
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 11:03:59 | 显示全部楼层
英文散文——沙漠里有朵小花
6 y8 C. D! l( k  p: W这个美丽的故事流传在美洲印第安土著中已近200年了,一朵荒漠中的小花,不是为了自己的艳丽,而执着于点缀这个世界的一角……
8 u. F. [" P. a7 [, H( u) c% \: D' t4 A. {  \3 H- S6 a5 V
There was a young flower in the desert where all was dry and sad looking... It was growing by itself... enjoying every day... and saying to the sun "When shall I be grown up?" And the sun would say "Be patient - Each time I touch you, you grow a little..." She was so pleased. Because she would have a chance to bring beauty to this corner of sand... And this is all she wanted to do - bring a little bit of beauty to this world. 2 c  I& [& B" s4 i2 }3 n; w

# C" V& e( d0 c  Q3 w' E0 b; M  遍地干旱、满目悲凉的沙漠中有朵小花,她独自生长在那里,享受着每一天……她问太阳公公“我什么时候才能长大?”太阳公公总是说“要有耐心-- 我每次抚摸你,你都会长大一点……”小花好开心啊,因为她也有机会为沙漠的一隅增添美丽了……这是她毕生的心愿-- 为这个世界增添一丝美丽。
7 J$ J7 G! q/ _7 h* f' M* u# m/ @& G" x/ z! v3 f2 s
One day the hunter came by - and stepped on her. - She was going to die - and she felt so sad. Not because she was dying - but because she would not have a chance to bring a little bit of beauty to this corner of the desert.
% ~: u/ _" v+ o! r3 ?+ M7 s7 @0 q7 Z' Q& V) X. {
  一天,一位猎人经过--正好踩在她身上――  她快要死了-- 她感到如此悲伤。并不是因为她即将死去,而是因为再没有机会为沙漠增添一丝美丽了。
3 a+ n# \1 [: L- W0 u4 Z3 \, m% B
9 ]5 W' R5 M9 l2 IThe great spirit saw her, and was listening. - Indeed, he said... She should be living... And he reached down and touched her - and gave her life. $ N% \3 a$ Q6 @) k/ C6 Q: N; |
- ^2 E" T+ W9 j, p, m6 G
  伟大的精神看到了她,并且听到了她的心里话。……事实上,他在说……她应该活着……他俯下身,抚摸着她-- 给了她生命。 0 F; @- }- D, i% `% J# K  P
$ b2 u$ |. P: n6 p
And she grew up to be a beautiful flower... and this corner of the desert became so beautiful because of her. 6 i# S" s! T$ I' d9 A  Z

- f' H' m; m  B8 Q2 f# n& }  她长成一朵美丽的花……由于她的存在,这沙漠的一隅变得如此美丽。
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 11:05:01 | 显示全部楼层
英文散文——玫瑰传说 Rose legend0 b5 V3 i+ W) G
People have been passionate about roses since the beginning of time. In fact, it is said that the floors of Cleopatra's palace were carpeted with delicate rose petals, and that the wise and knowing Confucius had a 600-book library specifically on how to care for roses.
! P) r. ?2 K3 Z& o) n' o2 }+ q& E  人类有史以来就钟情于玫瑰。据说,克娄巴特拉的宫殿的地面就铺满了娇嫩的玫瑰花瓣,博学的孔子有600册藏书专门讲述如何培育玫瑰。
. J4 G% L% Z) g! F9 Q7 x0 ^# k; |' M5 i9 f
The rose is a legend on its own. The story goes that during the Roman Empire, there was an incredibly beautiful maiden named Rhodanthe. Her beauty drew many zealous suitors who pursued her relentlessly. Exhausted by their pursuit, Rhodanthe was forced to take refuge from her suitors in the temple of her friend Diana. Unfortunately, Diana became jealous. And when the suitors broke down her temple gates to get near their beloved Rhodanthe, she became angry turning Rhodanthe into a rose and her suitors into thorns.
4 u! o* l& L$ _7 @5 i4 S" @  玫瑰本身就是一个传说。在罗马帝国时代,有一个名叫罗丹斯的美丽绝伦的少女。她的丽姿引来了无数狂热的求婚者锲而不舍地追求她。罗丹斯实在招架不住了,不得不到朋友狄安娜的神庙里躲避她的求婚者。不幸的是,狄安娜产生了嫉妒之心。当求婚者冲进了神庙的大门,要接近他们所爱恋着的罗丹斯时,狄安娜一怒之下将罗丹斯变成了一枝玫瑰花,将她的求婚者变成了花刺。
1 ]$ [. a) O, a: q" U0 q9 x: s) O
In Greek legend, the rose was created by Chloris, the Greek goddess of flowers. It was just a lifeless seed of a nymph that Chloris found one day in a clearing in the woods. She asked the help of Aphrodite, the goddess of love, who gave her beauty Dionysus, the god of wine, added nectar to give her a sweet scent, and the three Graces gave her charm, brightness and joy. Then Zephyr, the West Wind, blew away the clouds so that Apollo, the sun god, could shine and made this flower bloom. And so the Rose was born and was immediately crowned the Queen of Flowers.
: }, j+ f6 O! Z8 |$ r5 `  在希腊传说中,玫瑰是希腊花神克罗斯创造的。当初玫瑰只是林中一个仙女的尚无生命的一粒种子。一天,花神克罗斯偶然在森林的一块空地上发现了它。克罗斯请求爱神阿佛洛狄特赋予了它美丽的容貌;让酒神狄俄尼索斯浇洒了神酒,使它拥有了芬芳的气味。又有美惠三女神将魅力、聪颖和欢乐赐予了它。随后,西风之神吹散了云朵,太阳神阿波罗得以照耀它并使它开花。玫瑰就这样诞生了,并立即被封为花中之皇后。
. [7 U/ k" B3 v3 M# o5 {+ e! ?# f9 Z, h1 C! ~- b( S
The first true primary red rose seen in Europe was "Slater's Crimson China" introduced in 1792 from China, where it had been growing wild in the mountains. Immediately, rose breeders began using it to hybridize red roses for cultivation. Ever since, the quest for the perfect red rose has been the Holy Grail of rosarians: a fragrant, disease-resistant, long-lasting, long-stemmed, reblooming, perfectly formed rose with a clear non-fading vivid red color. Absolute perfection still hasn't been attained, and of course never will!4 |/ {9 v+ i# \, d
  欧洲见到的第一枝真正的原色红玫瑰叫做“斯莱特中国深红”,于1792年从中国引进。当时,它一直生长在中国山区的野地里。玫瑰培育者马上开始用它进行杂交种植。从此,寻求完美的红玫瑰一直是玫瑰栽培者所追求的理想。这种玫瑰应具有芳香的气味、抵御疾病的能力、持久的花期、修长的花茎、反复开花的本领、优美的体态以及不褪色的纯鲜红颜色。然而,绝对的完美却始终未达到,当然也永远无法达到!
( {6 C9 g" m% H
8 b' D5 U* }- i& d& n; a# NThere is a special rose language invented as a secret means of communication between lovers who were not allowed to express their love for one another openly. In the mid 18th century the wife of the British ambassador in Constantinople described this in her letters, which were published after her death. These letters inspired many books on the language of flowers, each describing the secret message hidden in each flower. A red rose bud stands for budding desire, an open white rose asks "Will you love me?", an open red rose means "I'm full of love and desire", while an open yellow rose asks "Don't you love me any more?". i2 m1 ~0 F& K" j. ]3 m. A
  人们发明了一种特殊的玫瑰语言,作为不被允许公开示爱的情侣间秘密交流的方式。18世纪中期,英国驻君士坦丁堡大使的夫人在信中对此做了描述。这些信件在她死后出版,激发了许许多多关于花草语言书籍的问世,每一本书都对每种花所隐藏的信息进行了描述。一朵红玫瑰花蕾代表萌发中的情欲;一枝盛开的白玫瑰则是在探问:“你会爱我吗?”一枝绽开的红玫瑰的含义是:“我对你满怀着爱意和渴望”,而一枝开放的黄玫瑰则是在询问:“你是不是不再爱我了?”
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 11:06:40 | 显示全部楼层
英文散文——美丽微笑与爱心 Beautiful Smile and Love
1 r% n- P9 r* q" O2 R( m$ t& z7 u0 \作者介绍:特蕾莎修女(Mother Teresa,1910-1997),印度著名的慈善家,印度天主教仁爱传教会创始人,在世界范围内建立了一个庞大的慈善机构网,赢得了国际社会的广泛尊敬。1979年被授予诺贝尔和平奖。本文所选即好在领取该奖项时的演讲辞,语言简洁质朴而感人至深。诺贝尔奖领奖台上响起的声音往往都是文采飞扬、热烈、激昂。而特雷莎修女的演说朴实无华,其所举事例听来似平凡之至,然而其中所蕴含的伟大而神圣的爱感人至深。平凡中孕育伟大,真情才能动人。
3 h9 M$ v% y# j/ L
. P9 G& L6 W) J, L& IThe poor are very wonderful people. One evening we went out and we picked up four people from the street. And one of them was in a most terrible condition,and I told the sisters: You take care of the other three. I take care of this one who looked worse. So I did for her all that my love can do. I put her in bed, and there was such a beautiful smile on her face. She took hold of my hand as she said just the words “thank you” and she died. I could not help but examine my conscience[良心]before her and I asked what would I say if I was in her place.
8 ~* ^  v" x3 v! C8 v7 T  穷人是非常了不起的人。一天晚上,我们外出,从街上带回了四个人,其中一个生命岌岌可危。于是我告诉修女们说:“你们照料其他三个,这个濒危的人就由我来照顾了。”就这样,我为她做了我的爱所能做的一切。我将她放在床上,看到她的脸上绽露出如此美丽的微笑。她握着我的手,只说了句“谢谢您”就死了。我情不自禁地在她面前审视起自己的良知来。
2 S6 B$ s: S  A6 P
: {, C8 \  E6 w& gAnd my answer was very simple. I would have tried to draw a little attention to myself. I would have said I am hungry, that I am dying, I am cold, I am in pain, or something, but she gave me much more-she gave me her grateful love. And she died with a smile on her face.   X( G4 c' {. Z% x, H5 Z
  我问自己,如果我是她的话,会说些什么呢?答案很简单,我会尽量引起旁人对我的关注,我会说我饥饿难忍,冷得发抖,奄奄一息,痛苦不堪,诸如此类的话。但是她给我的却更多更多――她给了我她的感激之情。她死时脸上却带着微笑。
# I5 J% m- P3 A3 r
  ~& p; n1 x( B. a1 e) T% b9 TAs did that man whom we picked up from the drain[阴沟、下水道], half eaten with worms, and we brought him to the home. “I have lived like an animal in the street, but I am going to die like an angel, loved and cared for.” And it was so wonderful to see the greatness of that man who could speak like that, who could die like that without blaming anybody, without cursing anybody, without comparing anything. Like an angel-this is the greatness of our people. And that is why we believe what Jesus had said: I was hungry, I was naked, I was homeless, I was unwanted, unloved, uncared for, and you did it to me.
5 d; O9 Z. R% {0 l$ d  我们从排水道带回的那个男子也是如此。当时,他几乎全身都快被虫子吃掉了,我们把他带回了家。“在街上,我一直像个动物一样地活着,但我将像个天使一样地死去,有人爱,有人关心。”真是太好了,我看到了他的伟大之处,他竟能说出那样的话。他那样地死去,不责怪任何人,不诅咒任何人,无欲无求。像天使一样――这便是我们的人民的伟大之所在。因此我们相信耶稣所说的话――我饥肠辘辘――我衣不蔽体――我无家可归――我不为人所要,不为人所爱,也不为人所关心――然而,你却为我做了这一切。& f  [9 }+ E2 x5 g- \0 P4 u( u( @7 [

7 u4 f/ |7 x+ ~) b* |) II believe that we are not real social workers. We may be doing social work in the eyes of the people, but we are really contemplatives[修行者、沉思冥想的人] in the heart of the world. For we are touching the body of Christ twenty-four hours... And I think that in our family we don’t need bombs and guns, to destroy, to bring peace, just get together, love one another, bring that peace, that joy, that strength of presence of each other in the home. And we will be able to overcome all the evil that is in the world.
  F/ P+ c  O7 `4 n7 O  我想,我们算不上真正的社会工作者。在人们的眼中,或许我们是在做社会工作,但实际上,我们真的只是世界中心的修行者。因为,一天24小时,我们都在触摸基督的圣体。我想,在我们的大家庭时,我们不需要枪支和炮弹来破坏和平,或带来和平――我们只需要团结起来,彼此相爱,将和平、欢乐以及每一个家庭成员灵魂的活力都带回世界。这样,我们就能战胜世界上现存的一切邪恶。
" f) h& I2 s4 d) R/ L) \5 |8 U7 S, c6 @2 A# \* c: z
And with this prize that I have received as a Prize of Peace, I am going to try to make the home for many people who have no home. Because I believe that love begins at home, and if we can create a home for the poor I think that more and more love will spread. And we will be able through this understanding love to bring peace be the good news to the poor. The poor in our own family first, in our country and in the world. $ V' B+ ?2 f& t: a  W4 t  b
  我准备以我所获得的诺贝尔和平奖奖金为那些无家可归的人们建立自己的家园。因为我相信,爱源自家庭,如果我们能为穷人建立家园,我想爱便会传播得更广。而且,我们将通过这种宽容博大的爱而带来和平,成为穷人的福音。首先为我们自己家里的穷人,其次为我们国家,为全世界的穷人。, Y3 }( B/ R: E9 y( L+ t- u

) h5 Y4 z. Q' E7 U$ nTo be able to do this, our Sisters, our lives have to be wove with prayer. They have to be woven with Christ to be able to understand, to be able to share. Because to be woven with Christ is to be able to understand, to be able to share. Because today there is so much suffering... When I pick up a person from the street, hungry, I give him a plate of rice, a piece of bread, I have satisfied. I have removed that hunger. 5 w9 A$ }4 Y/ ~/ Q
  为了做到这一点,姐妹们,我们的生活就必须与祷告紧紧相连,必须同基督结结一体才能互相体谅,共同分享,因为同基督结合一体就意味着互相体谅,共同分享。因为,今天的世界上仍有如此多的苦难存在……当我从街上带回一个饥肠辘辘的人时,给他一盘饭,一片面包,我就能使他心满意足了,我就能躯除他的饥饿。; t& O  S* o) O' T  G
* y4 L" H, ]8 q0 l# _  @. N. m
But a person who is shut out, who feels unwanted, unloved, terrified, the person who has been thrown out from society-that poverty is so full of hurt and so unbearable... And so let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love, and once we begin to love each other naturally we want to do something.
+ j  ?" T/ V8 d: l9 ]" u' S; e( |  但是,如果一个人露宿街头,感到不为人所要,不为人所爱,惶恐不安,被社会抛弃――这样的贫困让人心痛,如此令人无法忍受。因此,让我们总是微笑想见,因为微笑就是爱的开端,一旦我们开始彼此自然地相爱,我们就会想着为对方做点什么了。
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 11:11:28 | 显示全部楼层
"There" is no better than "Here"5 z6 w+ ~6 ]% n6 N: F" m
彼岸无尽头,知足才常乐
5 a( I! n( r) U( g
5 K: B; C0 p0 K9 ]Many people believe that they will be happy once they arrive at some specific goal they set for themselves. However, more often than not, once you arrive " there" you will still feel dissatisfied, and move your " there" vision to yet another point in the future. By always chasing after another "there," you are never really appreciating what you already have right "here." ) a+ @  ?" W: J3 D
  许多人都相信,一旦他们达到了自己所设定的某个特定目标,他们就会开心、快乐。然而事实往往是,当你到达彼岸时,你还是不知足、不满意,而且又有了新的彼岸--新的幻想和憧憬。由于你总是疲于追逐一个又一个的彼岸,你从未真正欣赏、珍惜你已经拥有的一切。" L9 I/ i  d/ o6 e; n4 r
; Z# ^( s6 ?/ U0 o* s  N$ L6 p! }& q
It is important for human beings to keep soberminded about the age-old drive to look beyond the place where you now stand.
3 O( n+ {' W. [1 ]0 W" ]" J1 Q  不安于现状的欲望人皆有之,由来已久,但重要的是要对它保持清醒的头脑。
4 ?3 w" D8 k6 V5 H4 X& M
# P$ Y9 P) G# `# K- ^: |On one hand, your life is enhanced by your dreams and aspirations. On the other hand, these drives can pull you farther and farther from your enjoyment of your life right now. By learning the lessons of gratitude and abundance, you can bring yourself closer to fulfilling the challenge of living in the present.
+ H: [/ X6 t- v1 M  一方面,你的生活因为梦想和渴望而更加精彩。另一方面,这些欲望又使你越来越不懂得珍惜和享受现在拥有的生活。假如你能懂得感恩,学会知足,你就接近实现生活在现实中提出的要求。
* T, I7 e( Q' q8 q' i( k# R2 v! p+ q5 h# d1 P# v' e6 ]
Gratitude To be grateful means you are thankful for and appreciative of what you have and where you are on your path right now. Gratitude fills your heart with the joyful feeling and allows you to fully appreciate everything that arises on your path. As you strive to keep your focus on the present moment, you can experience the full wonder of "here."9 h& N9 W& u. t! D
  感恩之心感恩是指你感激、珍惜自己当前所拥有的一切以及所处的人生境遇。心存感恩,你的心灵就充满愉悦,你就能真正领会人生路上的种种体验。如果你努力把眼光锁定在此时此刻,你就能感受它的美妙之处。
& e) y+ o6 }3 p* i* I1 f+ c- g8 P- x5 ]* G% x" b5 z
There are many ways to cultivate gratitude. Here are just a few suggestions you may wish to try:
1 S4 W: B) b2 b9 s) {  感恩之心需要经常加强。许多方法可以培育感恩之心,你不妨试试以下几种:8 v1 t; P0 h! q" {. E" R) k$ c
/ Q, ~" e2 k$ y, h* v
1. Imagine what your life would be like if you lost all that you had. This will most surely remind you of how much you do appreciate it.
5 X5 {& ~; w- N8 ]4 _4 X, S  1.设想如果你失去了你现在所拥有的一切,你的生活将会怎么样。它肯定会使你回想起原来你是多么喜欢和珍视这一切。
! M! N& |  v& N3 K; }: l+ x" p5 h% P$ [8 O1 ]
2. Make a list each day of all that you are grateful for, so that you can stay conscious daily of your blessings. Do this especially when you are feeling as though you have nothing to feel grateful for. Or spend a few minutes before you go to sleep giving thanks for all that you have.
- |# g* M, P$ M$ B& g, v. h  2.每天都列出那些值得你感激的事物,那样你就能时时刻刻意识到自己的幸运。每天都要这么做,尤其是当你觉得好像没有什么可感激的时候。另外你也可以每天临睡前花几分钟感恩自己所拥有的一切。6 ^# a2 M: P9 A

. r' T' L, a; c$ [' M, D$ p- [3. Spend time offering assistance to those who are less fortunate than you, so that you may gain perspective.
" @& E* U! R  o* m& b  3.花时间帮助那些没有你那么幸运的人,这样你也许会对生活有正确的认识。
: [( @2 a& F& R* C% O$ D9 `& \: J* h2 U+ f: `3 \2 ~" H& Y
However you choose to learn gratitude is irrelevant. What really matters is that you create a space in your consciousness for appreciation for all that you have right now, so that you may live more joyously in your present moment.$ K7 h* ]+ d  _) u4 i; J& h* n
  其实,你选择何种方法去学会感恩,这无关紧要,真正重要的是你应该有意识地努力去欣赏和珍视你现在所拥有的一切,这样你就可以更快乐地享受你目前的生活。  h5 d& E1 [) K2 [
, k6 i% D/ ?! h2 n. F, a0 r
Abundance One of the most common human fears is scarcity. Many people are afraid of not having enough of what they need or want, and so they are always striving to get to a point when they would finally have enough.
; b' z, L# G: ?) S" r$ R  知足常乐贫穷是人类最普遍的恐惧之一。许多人担心自己的所需所求不够,所以他们总是孜孜以求有朝一日能心满意足,别无他求。
0 j6 z% |3 v1 f! O
6 f% J) v4 U/ q' JAlan and Linda always dreamed of living "the good life." Both from poor working-class families, they married young and set out to fulfill their mutual goal of becoming wealthy. + O+ j3 r# X# M6 z* u+ x
  艾伦和琳达都来自贫苦的工人家庭,都一直梦想着过上"好日子"。他们早早地成了家,然后就开始为他们共同的致富目标奋斗。$ i, m$ B* s- Z. C4 w: n" d
, x' F7 S; x0 h; g" n  N
They both worked very hard for years, amassing a small fortune, so they could move from their two-bedroom home to a palatial seven-bedroom home in the most upscale neighborhood. They focused their energies on accumulating all the things they believed signified abundance: membership in the local exclusive country club, luxury cars, designer clothing, and high-class society friends.
' }  \' O: n4 @+ \" w) K  他们拼命工作了好几年,终于积攒了一笔钱,从两居室搬到了一套坐落在最高档街区的富丽堂皇的七居室大房子。此后,他们费尽心思去积聚那些他们认为是代表富足的东西:当地惟一的一家乡村俱乐部的会员资格、豪华汽车、名牌服装,以及上流社会的朋友。
( _2 C) b& I) ?% Z: K5 o& X; `
No matter how much they accumulated, however, it never seemed to be enough. They were unable to erase the deep fear of scarcity both had acquired in childhood. They needed to learn the lesson of abundance. Then the stock market crashed in 1987, and Alan and Linda lost a considerable amount of money.
: I# V0 I- Z2 j2 \( I6 W  但是,不论他们积聚了多少,似乎永远难以满足。他们俩谁都无法消除小时侯对贫穷的刻骨铭心的恐惧。其实,他们就需要学会知足常乐这一课。1987年,股市遭受重创,艾伦和琳达损失惨重。& U3 b; g! V0 |& I# E) ]3 m

: t. L+ f4 k. ]A bizarre but costly lawsuit depleted another huge portion of their savings. One thing led to another, and they found themselves in a financial disaster. Assets needed to be sold, and eventually they lost the country club membership, the cars, and the house.
8 i' c( t" K- a  祸不单行,一场莫名其妙的昂贵的官司又耗尽了他们的一大笔积蓄,这一切使他们陷入了经济困境。他们不得不变卖家产,最后他们丢掉了乡村俱乐部的会员资格,失去了汽车和房子。' q4 `/ |( k3 L0 v( K

. h! c+ M. k( r6 X/ [It took several years and much hard work for Alan and Linda to land on their feet, and though they now live a life far from extravagant, they have taken stock of their lives and feel quite blessed.
7 g5 \" h6 u! o5 K8 Y* e  艾伦和琳达努力奋斗了好几年才从困境中走出来。现在他们的生活毫不奢华,但是他们是自己生活的主宰,幸福而又知足。
: k1 Y5 `( N1 t  B9 |& I) G; ]. Q/ q
Only now, as they assess what they have left -- a solid, loving marriage, their health, a dependable income, and good friends -- do they realize that true abundance comes not from amassing, but rather from appreciating.
1 ?0 _$ I! l# x/ W9 Q' I! Q  只有在这时,他们才掂量着那些尚未失去的东西,如稳固相爱的婚姻、健康的身体、可靠的收入、真正的朋友等等,他们终于认识到,真正的富足不是来自财富的积聚,而是来自对所拥有的一切的珍视。+ H# u3 S6 W1 }. A; ~- X
/ T# m6 O* O/ v  E3 g8 c
Scarcity consciousness arises as a result of the "hole-in-the-soul syndrome." This is when we attempt to fill the gaps in our inner lives with things from the outside world. But like puzzle pieces, you can't fit something in where it does not naturally belong.
$ i& P' d9 m: J4 ?3 b5 K  贫穷感可以归因于"精神空虚综合症",即我们试图用身外之物来填补内心的空缺。但是,就像拼图游戏一样,你不能把本来不属于那个地方的东西硬塞进去。
  H  M$ ^5 |* s* b% \* m# h# `
6 m+ E- M3 T$ P; ^4 m" bNo amount of external objects, affection, love, or attention can ever fill an inner void. We already have enough, so we should revel in our own interior abundance.
. s: [: j7 d; g" B, ]& l! T  任何身外之物、情感、关爱和关注都无法填补内心的空虚。我们拥有的已经足够,因此我们应该满足于内心世界的丰富与充实。
 楼主| 发表于 2007-3-24 11:12:33 | 显示全部楼层
Genius At Work. S( w4 q+ Q& {$ @. [
天才在工作7 H3 `) Z5 o% Q
/ p) m+ e# r& M5 m
Henry Ford didn't always pay attention in school. One day, he and a friend took a watch apart. Angry and upset, the teacher told him both to stay after school. Their punishment was to stay until they had fixed the watch. But the teacher did not know young ford's genius. In ten minutes, this mechanical wizard had repaired the watch and was on this way home.' H/ Q/ l1 a4 U' N2 I
  亨利-福特在学校里常常心不在焉。有一天,他和一个小朋友把一块手表拆开了。老师很生气,让他们放学后留下来,把表修好才能回家。当时这位老师并不知道小福特的天才。只用了十分钟,这位机械奇才就把手表修好,走在回家的路上了。
5 ~+ \1 Z  a8 a- ]
& q* ]& M% w  Q6 z. NFord was always interested in how things worked. He once plugged up the spout of a teapot and placed it on the fire. Then he waited to see what would happen. The water boiled and, of course, turned to steam. Since the steam had no way to escape, the teapot exploded. 2 o% U$ t+ k) z: n1 H/ Z5 ^
  福特对各种东西的工作原理总是很感兴趣。曾有一次,他把茶壶嘴用东西堵住,然后把茶壶放在火炉上。他便站在一边等候着会出现什么情况。当然,水开后变成了水蒸气。% A: k4 F" h! i9 @# T# p! f0 L
' q& d8 |9 B- e3 R
The explosion cracked a mirror and broke a window. The young inventor was badly scalded ford's year of curiosity and tinkering paid off. He dreamed of a horseless carriage. When he built one, the world of transportation was changed forever. + t, g" ]! a6 g) x
  因为水蒸气无处逸出,茶壶便爆炸了,因而打碎了一面镜子和一扇窗户。这个小发明家也被严重地烫伤了。多年后,福特的好奇心和他的动手能力使他得到了回报。他曾经梦想着去制造一辆无马行进的车。他造成了一辆这样的车后,运输界发生了永久性的变化。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|中医针推网

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 11:57 , Processed in 0.028557 second(s), 15 queries .